Saturday, July 29, 2017

Another success with my 35mm camera........

 Two weeks ago I imaged the moon with my webcam imager and my Nikon F3HP 35mm camera. Several days ago I picked up the processed film and found that most if not all the negatives are in at least acceptable focus, and a good many were well exposed. As before, I used Fujicolor 200 color negative film and exposure times from 1/250th to 1/15th of a second. To suppress vibration, I used vibration suppression pads under the feet of the tripod, and I used the mirror lockup my camera is equipped with. I then used the self time to trip the shutter to avoid vibration from my hand touching the camera.
 
 
Once I found a suitable negative, I scanned it with my Canon LIDE 700 flatbed scanner, which also comes with a film strip adapter. This scanner is not ideal for scanning film, but it is adequate for occasional use in that way. After initial scanning, I imported it into Adobe Photoshop then adjusted the levels, brightness, contrast and color balance. I also lightly sharpened it. Before scanning the film, I checked the calibration which eliminated the odd magenta tint that had appeared in the last photo. This picture is a full frame image of the original negative. As you can see, with a focal length of just over 2,000mm, the moon occupies a large portion of a 35mm film frame. Eventually, I plan to photograph the moon on film through an entire cycle of it's phases. It will take a year or so to do that given the interference from weather, work and other considerations that come first.



No comments: