Friday, May 28, 2010

Mirror box flocked, finder scope arrived.

Last weekend I flocked the interior of the mirror box with my usual flocking material, flat black oil-based paint mixed with saw dust. Using a foam brush, I dabbed it on the inside of the mirror box to create a rough textured surface that will help suppress stray light. After waiting for several months, the finder scope finally arrived. Apparently after contacting the vendor they realized that it was never shipped. It arrived yesterday in perfect condition and it's a nicely made finder scope, complete with a long dew cap. With it and one of my Stratus eyepieces in the focuser, the upper cage weighs 14 pounds or so, about what my calculations predicted. I may have to tweak the balance after I get the primary mirror, but assembly and testing my telescope should be straight forward.

No comments: